From AmtWiki

there are lots of different shield grips out there

"floats" can be found in the drywall section of the hardware store, and usually are between $5-10. most floats have metal backing, but if you look, you can get floats without the metal backing for safety.

i really like the Allway (Hard Hat Brand) Soft Grip Hand Sander (part UHS 13020) for a shield grip. When you buy it, the wire bits pop out, and the rubber top strips off easily, and all that's left is the handle, which is made of a nice heavy duty plastic. you can see a picture in their catalogue at (scroll down the catalogue page). i bought mine at home depot for cheap. (-squeak)