"Someone that makes Dalos's soul hurt."
"the flurb is someone so far gone that they're trying to escape the realities of a game designed to escape from reality."-Oznog
The origins of the term "Flurb" may stem from video games.
In general it started as a derogatory term to refer to people who are more into the role-playing aspects of amtgard, especially in a negative way. It's original meaning was used to describe someone so socially inept, that they made us regular geeks embarrassed & put off. However, over time it lost its negative connotations, role-players have embraced the term and use it with pride as a resistance to the "other side", e.g., the ditch-first Stick Jock mentality that is prevalent in many parts of Amtgard today.
How to explain it... to some, anyone who role-plays is a flurb. But someone who role-plays a half-dragon/half elf sorcerer with blue swords is more of a flurb than someone who simply roleplays a samurai warrior.
It is generally assumed that most flurbs take the role-playing aspects more seriously than the sport aspects of amtgard, usually to the detriment of their fighting ability. So being able to fight well might make one less of a flurb.
From Mark Barnes on facebook "The word flurb (circa 1988 maybe 1989) is what Plague called Cain a few times and we (Cain and myself-Hrog) thought it would be fun to see if we could get people to start using the word just to be cool. The joke was if you didn't know what a flurb was then you were a flurb. So pretty much if you weren't "wrong crowd" then you were a flurb. So other Amtgardians would just say they knew what it meant because we made it sound like you were uncool if you didn't."
Variations of the word flurb might include:
- Flurb-Fu - any melodramatic combat tactics that are generally ineffective
- Flurbiness - The flurb factor of something. E.g., the Elven Court has a high degree of "Flurbiness"
- Flurbery - The act of being a flurb.
- More info
- When We Were Flurbs
- The Flurbs of Summer by Angrist
- How Does Your Garden Grow? by Spearweasel
- What is a Fruit Elf? by Michael
- Origins of the Flurb by Randall
- Flurby Weapons No More Simon Blackfell and Arminius
- To Flurb or Not to Flurb by Fenrix
- Let us be Flurby by Raven
- Kansuke was right
- You Are Not the Flurb Messiah by Randall
- I am in Flavor Country by Phywren