Please remember to sign your messages with ~~~~.
If you leave a message on this page, I will reply on this page, so please make sure to add it to your watchlist.
Nice job btw - Crispin
- Thanks! Its nice to see an active admin on a smaller wiki, and one that welcomes new users is even better! Zell Faze 06:44, 13 May 2014 (EDT)
Hello! Sorry about the lay-off man, that's a terrible situation.
Would love to collab on the Help Desk project, though updates have been delayed (for vague and mysterious reasons) and we're still on MediaWiki v1.18.1 for now. I need to call Crispin when my phone is working to get more project details, but he basically wants a place where others online can direct new players to get questions answered about Amtgard/rules/culture/etc without the ire people often receive on the main Facebook page. Something with a similar feel to the Wikipedia Teahouse, maybe? We're just starting discussions and planning and would love input. Ricken (talk) 19:12, 11 April 2015 (EDT)
- Crispin will be attending FOF, and will be hanging out in Wardancer camp. I've talked to him often off-wiki, and he knows just barely more about the update than I do, but he's in the most contact with Roger. Admins have made both of them aware of the need for an update, as well as the need for Parser Functions and a better Captcha system, but no word on any of that.
- Most current admins don't like to communicate on-wiki, so if there's anything from the Facebook group that's important I'll make sure you are made aware.
- We are just wrapping up discussions between exCOM, admins, and merchants about our policy for allowing merchants to have individual pages. Crispin's summary of the discussion: "So then I think we have come to even ground with Single pages listed by the merchant category on the front page, that are (other than normal admin patrol) maintained by the author of the page. I would think for regulations we will need to restrict any merchant page to only being made by the merchant, unlike other wiki pages where anyone can make it for another.... The pages will need to have a disclaimer posted in chief, that Amt inc. and the wiki are not affiliated with the merchants in anyway. The pages can have pictures of products (by using external links) but can not have prices displayed, pages will also be restricted from customer feed back or discussion of sales, this will include the pages 'talk page.'"
- I don't think you missed much more than that while you've been away. Ricken (talk) 00:02, 12 April 2015 (EDT)
- Talk page restrictions should only be for customer reviews. I'll bring this up on the discussion group so they aren't completely locked. exCOM is explained on that page. The restriction of page editing to only merchant and admins was a decision made by Crispin. While I agree it's not wiki-like to do so, Crispin has been getting a lot of flack from the Amtgard community at large for some decisions he's had to make, and might be trying to avoid that. Definitely discuss it with him when you are able to talk to him at FOF, he'll probably talk your ear off about his decision-making process.
- Good to note about the HFS pages. I agree, HFS has their own (though barely used) wiki, and some groups have taken to even keeping track of credits on here for some reason. I get that there are HFS crossgamers, but there are also SCA and Dag and Bel crossgamers who don't get their other parks listed here. I'll press it when we get more important projects crossed off the list.
Concerning MediaWiki updating
An Amtgardian friend of mine with a background as a web host admin is trying to volunteer to take the reigns to get the update finally done. He has talked to Crispin about this. We'll see how that goes. Ricken (talk) 22:46, 21 April 2015 (EDT)
AmtWiki Admin Leadership
Just an update for when you next see this. There has been a recent kerfuffle about Crispin's censorship of vulgarities. There is a planned vote by the COM to determine is Crispin will remain in charge. Should have a formal decision at Clan. Ricken (talk) 16:15, 26 June 2015 (EDT)
- This is a most unfortunate situation. I would like to see Crispin stay in charge. He seems to do a reasonable job at it from what I have seen. Zell Faze (Talk) 16:26, 26 June 2015 (EDT)
Wiki rules and such
From what I have heard (since not many admins like to talk on-wiki), there hasn't been any sort of progress concerning updates and such. Crispin is on a three person committee (with two non-admins in national leadership positions) that is supposed to be creating policy for wiki procedure. AFAIK, nothing has been decided yet.
I think it's a bit odd that it's not a community effort. I've taken the initiative and begun a complete public overhaul of the current rules. If you are on anytime before Clan in July, I'd appreciate another pair of eyes, and as many editors looking over this as possible.
This is the main page. I should be done with all of the subpages before the end of the week, though there is a lot more ground to cover than I thought. I'm also borrowing heavily from Wikipedia policies and guidelines, mostly from their layout and organization of thought. If you have a peek in the next few days and see "Wikipedia" instead of "AmtWiki" mentioned, that's why. I'll have those fixed when I go back and reformat and edit everything.
Hopefully a consensus-based ruleset can alleviate some of the recent IRL tensions regarding the wiki. That, and I can redefine "scope" to exclude HFS people who aren't Amtgarders. I'd be so happy.