Duchy of Siar Geata, Kingdom of Westmarch.
Located in Oceanside, CA (north of San Diego)
Siar Geata initially picked their heraldry in two stages. In the first stage, we picked a black & white design. In the second, we chose colors.
Previous candidates could be found, on the Westmarch boards, till a particularly drunken admin went on a "cleanup" spree.
It was pointed out by Arthur that the area above and around the pommel looks rather ass-like. This played a strong role in the pattern's choice by the voting populace on Feb 8, 2008.
"It's nice...but when I look at it all I see is ass and thighs." --Arthur
Pronunciation: shar gee-A-tah (or some reasonably close facsimile thereof). saer GAE-tah is also common, and "Shark Guitar" is acceptable.
Meaning: Siar Geata is (rumor has it) Gaelic for "West Gate".
Siar Geata is the name taken by two struggling shires in the San Diego area, Strathclyde and Nazzeroc. They merged in August of 2005. The original Strathclyde members have all since been consumed by Real Life.
Once upon a time, 10 fighters was a good day. The current attendance record is 66 sign-ins without so much as a single walk-up. This feat was achieved September 13, 2008. Siar Geata's previous record was 56 people (locals plus a large contingent of walk-ups, a regular day at the park in a SHIRE) set on March 15th, 2008.
On the date of September 20th 2008, The Kingdom of Dragonspine saw fit to promote Siar Geata to the status of Barony.
Attendance tends to spike after the Escondido Ren Faire, where Siar Geata holds a booth & small ditch field. They hand out fliers and invite anyone and everyone to come swing some foam. The Esco faire runs two weekends, every six months. After
They have been privileged to be visited/raided/crushed by Sir Clalibus, Sir Father Thomas, Dame Wynd, Sir Drakknar, Sir Phocion, Warlord Thedro, and Squire Talen... driving home the point that the local top of the heap are just big fish in a little pond.
After receiving a contract from Burning Lands in July of 2007, Siar Geata held an Althing, and unanimously decided to petition Dragonspine for membership, followed by a similar decision to join Westmarch as soon as it became an official entity.
- July 14th, 2007, Siar Geata officially joined Dragonspine.
- November 7th, 2007, Siar Geata was voted in as a member land of Westmarch, the first land to join since its founding.
- October 5th, 2008, Siar Geata was promoted to Barony.
- On November 3rd 2008, Siar Geata took part in a promotion for the movie "Role Models" that landed them on the morning news. Good stuff. Milan of Amber and Cadooogan were interviewed, and many of our core members were on display, along with Talen who was visiting his brother at the time.
- On Jan 4th 2009 Siar Geata was featured in the North County Times, a local newspaper.
- In late 2010, the populace decided to move their meetings back to Poinsettia Park, a more central location to their roster. Their first meeting after Kit Carson was on September 11, 2010. That year we were also featured in a Wyrd Con video.
- At Clan, 2012, Westmarch was officially promoted to Kingdom and Siar Geata was finally under the crown of a California Kingdom
- 2014, Siar Geata petitioned Westmarch for Duchy status
- March 2014 Siar Geata was featured on the tv show storage wars. Lord Guillaime was featured giving an appraisal of some armor and garb. Watch at http://www.aetv.com/storage-wars/video/nerds-of-the-round-table
- October of 2014, Siar Geata was promoted to Duchy status.
- November 2014, Siar Geata hosted the event Crossroads with Terra De Votum and High Oasis
- November 2015, Siar Geata hosted the event Crossroads with Terra De Votum and Sun's Haven, attendance reaching 150 individual sigh-ins, the second most successful event within Westmarch's boarders.
- Siar Geata moved parks from Carlsbad's Poinsettia park, to Oceanside's Alamosa park in March 2016. We've already seen growth and more veteran players making it out to the park
- Post pandemic, Siar Geata voted to move back to Carlsbad's Poinsettia Park (date needed)
- December 8, 2007 - Missing Peasants
- December 15, 2007 - Spellcaster Bounties
- December 22, 2007 - Tribes at War
- May 17th, 2008 - Kill the invading Dragon!
- September 6th, 2008 - Execute/save/murder Ryuke
- December 2012 - Steal from Mr. Santa Claus
- January 2012 - Take the Castle
- February 2012 - Cupid V.s Anti Cupid
- March 2012 - Saint Patrick attacks with dragon
- April 2012 - Capture the Easter eggs with towers
- May 2012 - Capture the flag
- June 2012 - Pokemon championship
See also our Imports and Fresh Blood
- Xeno - Monarch
- Wendy - Regent
- Xephre - Champion
- RoseThorn - Prime Minister
- Scoot - Guild Master of Reeves
- Lyriel - Guild Master of Warrior
- RoseThorn - GM of archers
- Xephre - GM of Bards
- Killtar - GM of Barbarians
- Scoot - GM of Druids
- MO - GM of Scouts
- [[Siar Geata Larp Club
We meet Saturdays at 12:00pm at Poinsettia Community Park in Carlsbad Amtgard Standard Time.
We have Fighter Practice on Thursdays at 6 at Conners Park. Check out our Facebook page events for more details.
Archery in San Diego
The Bad News
San Diego County forbids anyone from carrying or firing "archery devices" in public parks... without permission, permit, etc etc. Such permits are impossible to obtain. It is difficult to tell whether this applies to parks in Escondido (which is in San Diego County, but not the city of SD proper).
The Good News
Siar Geatans have been using bows (as many as 7 on the field at once) at Kit Carson and Poinsettia Park since the beginning of '06 without issue. We have been observed doing so by park rangers and off-duty police officers, none of whom made any comment one way or the other. This bodes well.
For information on other chapters in Amtgard look here
|Amtgard Chapters within Westmarch|
|Core Chapters: Aegir's Hall · Aureus Saltus · Crimson Wood · Seven Sleeping Dragons · Thor's Refuge · Wavehaven · Wyvern's Spur|
Sponsored Chapters: Ashen Grove · Ashen Spire · Belial Peaks · Bremen's Fortress · Clockwork Spires · Fal Dare · Mistyvale · Siar Geata · Skyfire Bay · Sunfire Valley · Valley of the Fallen